location 203 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 2100, Chicago, Illinois 60601
callCALL US: (312) 558-1454

Chicago Civil Rights Lawyer

Chicago Civil Rights Lawyer

As a resident of the United States, you have certain civil rights. These are the rights that the government cannot penalize you for exercising. Despite this, civil rights violations happen every day. When they do, victims can suffer in a variety of ways.

A police brutality victim can suffer physical injuries, emotional trauma, and the cost of hiring a lawyer to help him or her through the malicious prosecution of an alleged offense. A workplace discrimination victim can miss out on years’ worth of wages and employment benefits due to discrimination or wrongful termination in the workplace. A victim of housing discrimination can suffer the financial, physical, and emotional effects of being homeless or being subjected to unfair rental terms in a violation of the Fair Housing Act.

Know Your Civil Rights

Your civil rights include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • The right to free speech. Although there are instances where the government may limit this right, you have a broad right to express yourself and your thoughts in private and public spaces;
  • The right to a workplace free from discrimination;
  • The right to rent or purchase a home without facing discrimination from a seller, real estate agent, or landlord;
  • The right to be treated fairly and humanely by law enforcement and the criminal justice system. This includes the right to not be handled with excessive force or subjected to malicious prosecution; and
  • The right to freely assemble.

Taking Action when your Civil Rights are Violated

If you suffered damages because of your civil rights violation, you have the right to pursue compensation for your damages through a lawsuit against the party who violated them. Your lawsuit will be against the agency that violated your rights, not an individual. For example, if you are a police brutality victim, your lawsuit will be against the police department that employs the officer who harmed you, rather than the officer as an individual.

Discuss your case with an experienced civil rights lawyer to determine the government agency through which you may file your claim. Depending on the nature of your case, it could be with the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), or another federal agency.

Your lawyer will ensure that your case stays on track and that its deadlines do not expire. Additionally, your lawyer will help you obtain and use valid evidence to support your claim, such as documentation showing your personal expenses related to the violation or your medical bills for injuries you suffered at the hands of a brutal officer.

Work with an Experienced Chicago Civil Rights Attorney

When one or more of your civil rights are violated, speak up. Taking action after a violation is more than just seeking compensation for your damages, it is communicating to the violator and others that you will not tolerate your rights being dismissed or ignored. Contact the Law Office of Mitchell A. Kline today to set up your initial consultation with an experienced civil rights attorney to determine how to proceed with your case.

Call Now Button