Oak Park Employment Attorney
If you work for a living, state and federal laws impact your life every day. You may not think much about it, but your wages, work environment, safety regulations, and how you are treated are all governed by various employment laws and other regulations. Without these laws in place, you may be forced to work in a dangerous environment, be treated poorly, and never get paid a fair wage.
Employment laws keep you safe, healthy, and happy. Still, there are some employers who do not follow the laws. They may engage in wage theft or not pay employees on time. They may allow employees to harass others. In short, they may create hostile work environments.
When this occurs, you need an Oak Park employment attorney on your side. The Law Office of Mitchell A. Kline can assess your case.
Common Labor Law Issues
Common issues in the workplace include:
- Discrimination/harassment. Workers can face discrimination or harassment for many reasons. They may be treated unfairly due to their gender, race, sexual orientation, disability, age, or pregnancy status. If this occurs, it is best to talk to your manager or human resources department first. If nothing changes, contact a lawyer.
- Wage and overtime. The minimum wage in Illinois is $12 per hour. Employees who work more than 40 hours in a workweek are entitled to overtime pay, which is 1.5 times the standard rate. For example, an employee who earns $12 an hour would receive $18 for overtime pay.
- Wrongful termination. Illinois is an at-will state, which means an employee can be terminated for any reason as long as there is no discrimination or retaliation involved. If you think you have been wrongfully fired from a job, discuss your situation with a lawyer.
- Workplace safety. All employees have the right to work in a safe environment. This means you must be trained in a language that you understand and be provided with the necessary safety equipment to do your job.
- Workers’ compensation. If you are injured or become ill due to workplace hazards, you have the right to receive workers’ compensation benefits. Your employer pays into this state program. These benefits include coverage for medical expenses, lost wages, and compensation for dependents if the employee dies from job-related hazards.
These are issues that require the assistance of a knowledgeable employment attorney.
Contact Us Today
While most workplaces operate legally, sometimes issues occur. There may be wage issues. You may be dealing with discrimination or harassment. Maybe you got injured at work.
Whatever your issue, The Law Office of Mitchell A. Kline can help. We are an Oak Park employment attorney who can assess your case and help you understand your legal options. To schedule a consultation, call (312) 558-1454 or fill out the online form.