location 203 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 2100, Chicago, Illinois 60601


Oak Park FMLA Attorney

Oak Park FMLA Attorney

In 1993, the federal government enacted the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). This law guarantees covered employees certain rights related to taking time off to care for their loved ones and to receive treatment for their own injuries and illnesses. FMLA is the closest thing United States employees have to parental leave, as paid parental leave is not required at the federal level.

When an employee is covered by FMLA, it is illegal for his or her employer to deny him or her access to its benefits. However, this does happen, sometimes directly and sometimes through more roundabout means like classifying an employee as an independent contractor. Anytime you are rightfully entitled to FMLA benefits and they are denied, you can pursue compensation for the damages you suffered through an FMLA claim.

Who Qualifies for FMLA Protections?

To qualify for FMLA protections, an employee must meet the following criteria:

  • He or she must rightfully be classified as an employee, not an independent contractor;
  • His or her employer must employ at least 50 employees within the surrounding 75-mile area;
  • He or she must have worked at the company for at least 12 months prior to taking FMLA leave; and
  • During that 12-month period, the employee must have worked at least 1,250 hours.

What Does FMLA Cover?

FMLA guarantees employees the right to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off work for the following reasons:

  • For the birth or adoption of a child;
  • To care for an ill or injured close family member;
  • To attend to a qualifying extingency for a close family member who is in the military; and
  • To recover from his or her own serious illness.

While out on unpaid leave, employees are guaranteed the right to continue receiving the same benefits they could access while working. They also must return to their previous positions or substantially similar ones upon returning to work.

What to do When You Face an FMLA Violation

Just like with any other denial of your workplace rights, document everything. Document every interaction that you feel supports your claim that your rights have been denied and take careful note of exactly how your employer presents the denial to you. Bring your documentation to your company’s Human Resources department to see if you can resolve the issue without involving outside parties. If you can not, contact an experienced employment lawyer to discuss filing an FMLA denial claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

The EEOC will investigate your case to determine whether your rights were violated. If so, it may work with you and your employer to settle the issue. If the EEOC cannot settle the issue with your employer, you may choose to file a lawsuit to seek compensation for the damages you suffered.

Work with an Experienced Oak Park FMLA Attorney

When you face an FMLA violation or any other violation of your rights in the workplace, work with an experienced employment lawyer to determine the right course of action for your case. To learn more about your rights and legal options, contact the Law Office of Mitchell A. Kline today to schedule your initial legal consultation with us.