At the law Office of Mitchell A. Kline we understand that many people who have been the victims of sexual harassment in the workplace feel too ashamed, embarrassed or even too scared to come forward. Because of these feelings, the perpetrator might continue to harass the victim without any consequences. If the victim never stands up for his or herself the inappropriate behavior could go on indefinitely. However, that should not be an option. If you have been victimized by unwanted sexual behavior at work of any kind, then you need to speak up.
What Can You Do?
First, realize that sexual harassment is never ok and you do not have to accept it. So what steps should you take if you have been the victim of sexual misconduct at work?
- Speak up – the first thing you need to do is let your harasser know in no uncertain terms that his or her attentions or actions are not welcome. Make sure that the person understands that his or her behavior is offensive and unacceptable. You can also write a note, memo or email to the harasser asking him or her to stop. Make sure to keep a copy.
- Keep a record – you should also keep a detailed record of the harassment as it occurs. Note when it happens, what exactly took place and include your response to the action.
- Keep track of your work – it’s also a good idea to document your work and keep track of your performance, evaluations and anything else that is proof of your work behavior and quality.
- Are there witnesses or other victims – if you can find anyone else who has been mistreated by the harasser this can help your case. Likewise, if you have any witnesses that can also help.
- Examine all possible channels – if there are policies and procedures in place utilize them to bring the behavior to light. Speak with the HR department or other person’s in positions of authority.
- Make it official – if the behavior continues and your employer is not doing anything to prevent it then formally file a legal complaint.
Don’t Allow Yourself to Be a Victim
You do not have to allow sexual harassment to continue without repercussion. If you have been the object of someone’s sexual misconduct in the workplace, stand up for your rights and contact the Law Office of Mitchell A. Kline, an experienced sexual harassment attorney, as soon as you can. We’ll look at the facts of your case and help you choose the best path. Please don’t wait to get in touch with us. We will be your legal voice against this kind of behavior. Call us today in Chicago at 312-558-1454, or click here.